July 12, 2018
This is my happy place. Let me clarify, this is one of my happy places. But this is my MOVEMENT happy place. Where I feel freedom and a sense of exploration. It’s familiar and easy, but it’s also challenging. I can make it challenging and that’s also what I love about it. I control what my ride is going to be like – the distance, the difficulty, the intervals, the speed, the place. It challenges me and keeps me interested. It touches all my senses to move on my bike and I love that. I might be completely in my head, but it also gives me the opportunity to notice what is all around me.
- THINK: This is my place to think. A quiet place in my head for focused thoughts or problem solving or idea generating.
- HEAR: It’s my place to be motivated, destressed or relaxed by music. It’s my place to learn from podcasts and audiobooks. It’s a place to hear the sounds around me – children playing in the park, cars driving, birds chirping, trees being stirred by the wind, bees buzzing (hopefully not as they are stinging me!), water flowing in a river or canal and the splash of ducks landing.
- SEE: Outdoor anything! Landscaping, trees changing through the seasons, roads on my familiar route, people enjoying walking with their dogs, the sky and the clouds. The clouds! This is what I most look forward to and am thrilled by. I am in love with the layers, the shapes, the contrast against the blue sky, the difference from one day to the next.
- SMELL: It’s amazing all the scents I come across as I ride. The smell after a rainstorm, trees and flowers in bloom, dirt from a path, fresh mown grass, dryer sheets, frying bacon, grilling from a BBQ, country air and agricultural fields, mint fields and just plain clean air.
- FEEL: I feel the pressure in my ribs as inhaled air expands my lungs. That pressure is crazy strong when I’m working on hill climbs! I notice when my muscles strain to push the bike pedals or when they are gliding smoothly along the flat road. The pressure of the bike seat or the tingle of my toes is tough but makes me recognize that I’ve ridden further or harder this time. The wind blowing on my face and body can be nice, just what I need or overpowering! I feel the power to move. I can go anywhere. I can take the familiar route or choose to go further, or even choose a completely new path. Ride along the greenbelt, through neighborhoods, or out in the country where the cows roam and the grains grow. I get to see these areas close up.
- TASTE: Most of what I taste while riding is my water! But there is definitely some variation and I notice! Cold, fresh, icy water to begin my ride. Warm, bottle tasting water when it’s been a couple of hours. And that’s okay, because hydration is what’s important. Once in a while, I experience the taste of a bug. I spit them out and try to forget those quickly.
What is your MOVEMENT happy place? And what are the reasons why? What do you experience in all of your senses? What keeps you coming back to it again and again? If you haven’t figured out where it is, it’s time to explore. Maybe you feel light and happy splashing in a pool, running along the greenbelt kicks your adrenalin in, maybe the green on a golf course makes you smile, or the view from a hike on the greenbelt fills you up. I encourage you to explore and figure out where your MOVEMENT happy place is!